Friday 21 August 2009

The Convent Cat

O I am a cat of piety
Of virtue and sobriety-
Well,how could I be other
In such a saintly company
Where i abide in harmony
With all,the only brother

When I arrived,a foundling,
A three-week orpha,mewling,
The sisters held debate
Considered their professions,
The No-ones and the Yes-ones,
But one voice fixed my fate.

"'Tis no irregularity
'Twill be an act of charity
The thing has no possessions
And little chance of sin,
Besides-he'll have his uses.
For dont forget the mouses
Ofcourse he must come in,"
Said Sister Catharine.

I did not need probation;
I'd found my new vocation
In saintly occupation
Within this citadel.
A cat is always punctual
And orderly as well.

So,long before the sunrise
I rush from cell to cell.
I meet with some ingrateness
But-no sister need fear lateness..
Why trouble with a bell?

My needs are simple,
I rest upon a wimple-
"Oh holy saintsd see that!
'Tis all a crumple crimple!
Be off,you creature,scat!"
She can't mean Brother Cat!

Fridayis our fish day.
To me it is our wish day-
I wish each day were friday,
So holy is this cat.
I hear a sister whisper,
"Our Thomas is no doubter
Each day he looks devouter
Whatever he is at."

Could any praise be higher ?
Enough now of my history
It's time to join Refectory
Then practise for the choir
In the Magnificat.
Oh who would not aspire
To be a convent cat !